Monday, April 14, 2008

Mike the Builder

Mike's birthday was a couple of weeks ago. For his birthday he bought a new printer since ours died recently. This printer, is a wi-fi...it prints double sided, it scans, it faxes, it prints photos, it's a super spiffy thingy! The most advanced piece of equipment in our house!



We had no place to put it....



So...



Mike disappeared down into the basement. I hear the sounds of a table saw and power tools. The dog is hiding behind the couch...











then silence







Mike comes bounding up the stairs with a table. And not just any table. A 2x4 and 3/4plywood held together with 3 inch decking screws table. A table made with the wood that used to be inside the wall that we demolished in the kitchen two years ago... An unsanded, un-finished, table. A table that, to quote Mike, "I could jump up and down on and it won't break!"



He sets it down in the computer room. It wobbles, just a little. He sets this gleaming new highly technologically advanced printer on top of this un-finished, un-sanded 2x4 and plywood 3 inch deckscrew table.



I sigh.



I dig through the linen closet and find a lovely sheet.



I take the lovely piece of technology off the table, and cover the table with a sheet, then put the printer back.



Mike stands back and considers....."It needs a shelf."



He disappears back into the basement.



I hear power tools....the dog hides yet again.



He comes back up with another piece of plywood, cut strategically. He takes the printer and sheet off his table, and turns it upside down, and fastens the shelf on.



He rights the table, and it wobbles more.



"That's not right."



"oh, it's on the power cord."



After removing the power cord from underneath the table leg, we replace the sheet and the printer.



Mike is so proud of himself!



"What do you think, dear?" he asks me.



"I think it's a good serviceable temporary solution."



"Oh it's not temporary, it's permanent...that thing's built to last."



"Honey, It's a good TEMPORARY table."



"It's not temporary. It'll last forever."



"Mike! It's a good TEMPORARY TABLE!"



The lightbulb goes on.



"Oh! Yeah! When we have some more money, we'll buy a nicer looking table!"

No comments: